Week Eight with Extension by Cheyenne Van Echo

Annual Pasture Tour

This week I mostly helped at the Washington County Ag Expo and Fair. 

I started the week on Monday by attending our weekly connection meeting. In this meeting we heard from Dr. Jon Moyle as he shared his experiences in Extension, especially his time spent abroad. 


In response to this week’s blog prompt, I would like to see agriculture’s future sustainably last in family operations. I plan to contribute to this vision by continuing my family’s farm and supporting other local family farms in our area. A fellow student in one of my courses last year mentioned the idea of eating with the seasons and coordinating meals to include what can be grown in the local area at a given time. Global trade is important for the economy but in a perfect world I would like my future family to focus our eating habits to consume foods grown in the local area. 


Dr. Moyle has had many positive experience working abroad, but I don’t think abroad work is my calling. I was raised in a rural small town and I enjoy the patriotic passion of small town America. I hope my future career allows me to stay here in Northern Frederick County, close to my family and friends. Traveling for small periods of time to experience different cultures is very appealing to me, but as far as a permanent career I believe there is plenty of work in the agricultural field here in America to occupy my time for the rest of my life.


Some Shade


After the weekly connection meeting I headed into the fair to help at the dairy show. On Tuesday I helped at the dairy steer show, beef heifer show and beef market steer show as an announcer and gate person. On Wednesday I helped at the swine show by moving pigs from the barn to the show ring. On Thursday I helped as a ring steward for the dairy goat show and then assisted with handing out buyers number at the 4-H/FFA market sale. I rounded out the week on Friday by traveling to CMREC to help weigh the dairy heifers and set up new fencing in the annual pasture. 


Happy Cow



Comments