Week Nine with Extension by Ellie Rogers


Repurpose Farm Plastic (Moving discarded plasticulture waste located at the Wye for Dr. Krisztina Christmon for her conjoined plasticulture recycling operation Repurpose Farm Plastic).

As we enter the age of the anthropocene, food dwindles as resources deplete and degrade. Our generation is faced with a monumental task, a task of disproportionate impact not only regarding the fate of our species but the fate of the planet as we know it. To dually regenerate land while feeding a growing population of 9 billion people and counting: to combat the malthusian trap.

Yes, this is a monumental task. Yes, it is an improbable task. But, as with the human psyche, it is not our nature to accept defeat, not our nature to give up on nature. Over the past few weeks, I have seen individuals and organizations attempt to bear the burden of agriculture. I have seen the work of extension, of the Soil Conservation board, of individual urban farmers. I have seen the impact of cover crops, of best management practices, of integrated weed management. I have witnessed first hand the ability for our land and our farmers to work in harmony for their mutual benefit. Yes, this is an improbable task, but as is evident with the resilience of our species, never impossible.

Having had the opportunity to witness the failures and triumphs of extension and agricultural professionals and organizations has been an inspiration to me, an opportunity to see the good that is being done, the ways in which I can get involved on my own. The future of our planet resides in our soils, and as such, this is the path I would like to pursue. For me, I envision my contribution to be through a graduate program in the foreseeable future. After that, time will decide my path.

Regardless of my future career aspirations and the ways I would like to contribute to ‘feeding the 9 billion’, the past few weeks of this internship have been a learning experience in the work of extension and the importance of the research to farm relationship. Growing up in the suburbs, my relationship to agriculture has always been minimal, always being relegated to agriculture is important without any other thought into that statement. Learning from Dr. Vollmer, learning about his work, how to conduct a research trial, and how to disseminate research to a wider audience, has fundamentally changed his viewpoint on farms and food. As just one example, the meaning of ‘organic’ no longer has its previous connotation in my mind as it did 11 weeks ago. The passion of every single faculty and staff member throughout extension, throughout the WREC, throughout the farming communities of Maryland, is an inspiration on the pursuit of passion. Although agriculture may not be my future, my determination to make a difference, to better the standard of living for all, has been set by the positive influence of those around me during the past few weeks. It is a hallmark to the determination of our species, a monument to hope, and a common knowledge that we can feed a growing population while protecting and regenerating our natural resources.

Parasitic Plants (Common Dodder is shown as the yellow vine, a parasitic plant lacking chlorophyll that uses haustoria to parasitize a plant host as a continual source of nutrients). 





Comments